Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The water is high and my spirits are sorta low

The rain continues.  We are supposed to get about a day and a half of dry this week and then more rain.  They think it will be raining during the Kentucky Oaks and the Kentucky Derby races.  I watch from home, so it isn't a big deal for me, but you can't discount the fact that some horses are 'mudders' and some are not.  It will be interesting to see how things go this Friday and Saturday.


The 80000+ people in the infield are just one of the many reasons I avoid Louisville on the first Saturday in May.

This is how it looks when it rains on Derby Day.  No thanks.


Closer to home, the creek behind my house has flooded over it's banks (again).  I just hope it stays well away from my house.

This is where the creek is creeping up into my backyard.

Across the main road that runs perpendicular to my street.  


This is on my side of the road.  Usually the water is about 6-8 feet lower.

See the trees- they normally edge the bank of the creek and everything in the foreground is 'lawn'.

Closer view of last pic.

On the way to an appointment this morning, several roads were closed due to water and the local park is completely under water.  The picture below is from the summer, because I didn't have my camera with me this morning.  The tree line in the back edges the creek.  Now, the water is all the way to the split rail fence in the foreground (which you can't tell from this photo, but they are actually on a rise several feet above the walkway.) and it is about 2/3 up to the roof of the picnic pavilion.  



I almost miss the snow.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, that is a lot of water! No wonder it's getting you down in the doldrums of late. Just a bit too much of a good thing. In my books, rain is always a good thing. I would avoid those crowds, too! I am not a crowd person at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM PUTTING THIS MESSAGE ON EVERYONE'S COMMNT PAGE:

    I pride myself on trying to visit everyone I follow as often as possible. I enjoy all of you so much and have deliberately surrounded myself with the type of up-beat, happy bloggers as possible.

    However, recently I have taken in my 32 year old granddaughter and her two children. It has been such a monumental change for me I am finding it hard to keep up my blogging, and my visiting.

    I hate to admit it but there have been some difficulties with adjustments (on both sides) and I find that I just don't have the time to do the things I want to do. I also seem to be letting it get me down.

    Just give me some time and I will be back on my game soon....I'm sure......kt

    ReplyDelete

Give me something to think about.