Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Consider helping a worthy cause

Desiree from the beautiful blog Driftwood Ramblings (think gorgeous photos of South Africa, her garden and pets) is helping with a fundraising raffle to assist their local animal shelter.  Recently, their daughter's beloved dog, Romeo, was killed and they are raising money and shelter animal awareness in his honor.

You can learn more about the raffle and Romeo here: http://driftwoodramblings.blogspot.com/2011/04/please-support-this-worthy-cause-or.html

Closer to home, the puppy we rescued is doing much better.  He is taking nourishment and shows an increase in energy- though not as much as a healthy puppy should.  He seems to be on the mend and I hope to hear good things from the vet when we go next week.

He is a very docile and timid pup and seems to fear open spaces.  When taken outside of his basket, even in the house, he whines and cowers until he is returned to his basket full of blankets.  The only time he is happy outside of the basket is when he is being held (which of course we all love to do- often).


I hope he can overcome his fear of being in the open, so that he might fully enjoy himself.  If anyone has had similar experiences with a dog, I would be interested in hearing them.

Don't forget to check out Desiree's blog and if you can't participate in the raffle, consider doing something for a shelter in your area.  Shelters often need everything from food, cat litter and blankets to volunteers to help walk and groom the animals.  If you need help finding a shelter in your area (in the US), you can try the ASPCA shelter finder.

5 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU!

    That dear sweet thing is lucky to have you!
    I PRAY that he/she regains full health. kt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, April. Thank you! And you are SO RIGHT...if everyone just donated one small item to a shelter near them what a difference it would make!

    Your pup is looking so good! You've already worked a small miracle. I'm sure he will become more adventurous in time. It's still early days and he's probably just happy to have some peace and quiet in his own snug basket!

    Milo is 4 months old but is also quite nervous. We are giving him lots and lots of love to build up his confidence and self esteem. Also early days here still (we only got him on Sunday).

    I am going to take the liberty of copying a poem to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A POEM TO MY FOSTER DOG
    By Diane Morgan

    I am the bridge,
    Between what was and what can be.
    I am the pathway to a new life.

    I am made of mush,
    Because my heart melted when I saw you,
    Matted and sore, limping, depressed
    Lonely, unwanted, afraid to love.

    For one little time you are mine.
    I will feed you with my own hand.
    I will love you with my whole heart.
    I will make you whole.

    I am made of steel.
    Because when the time comes,
    When you are well, and sleek,
    when your eyes shine,
    And your tail wags with joy
    Then comes the hard part.

    I will let you go-not without a tear,
    But without a regret.
    For you are safe forever-
    A new dog needs me now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poem and thanks for the encouragement. Believe it or not, just about 30 minutes ago a beautiful female stray wandered into my yard. We have gave her some food and I managed to get an enormous tick off of her before she ran off (could have been the tick removal!) Last year was the year of kittens, I guess this will be the year of the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is too beautiful! Thank you for the wonderful tribute to Romeo and for spreading word about the plight of all animal shelters.

    Regarding your timid puppy, I think it's just a recipe of time and love. He'll eventually get his confidence up...he's such a little chap and it's a big scary world out there. Maybe start leaving some toys and extra blankets in his bed to get his scent and then leave them just outside the bed...encouraging him to get out and maybe have a look around.

    You're doing something so incredible by being there for him. Give him a massive cuddle from me.

    ReplyDelete

Give me something to think about.