Monday, January 3, 2011

Photography and Me

Back in the olden days, I was a photographer.  Before babies and motherhood, I was a photojournalist for the Air Force.

I wasn't bad, either.  I was published.  I loved it!  Absolutely loved it!  I would work 7 days a week, 12 to 16 hours a day, by choice.

Digital photography was in it's infancy, so I generally used an old Nikon F3 for everything.  The military gave me film, batteries, equipment, lenses, filters and assignments.  I also had access to a pro dark room and several different film and print processing machines.  I was living the life.

Then, I got out of the military and never could afford a good SLR, much less any of the extras I would need if I wanted to continue photography as a career.  The only job offers I received were for taking children's school photos or crime scene photographer for the state police.  I can't say which was less appealing!

So, for years my skills have rusted, my talents abandoned.  Today, I saw an interesting blog post about a photo project.  It is p52 and it was started by the lovely blog goddess at My 3 Boybarians.  Instead of a daily photo project (the pressure!), you submit a photo each week.

While there is less quantity pressure, looking at the submissions of others, the quality pressure will be there!!  I have a point and shoot.  I feel camera envy!

I intend to stick with this, though.  I really need the practice and I really need to be doing something I love, just for me, again.

If you are interested you can join here http://www.flickr.com/groups/m3bp52/

1 comment:

  1. Hey April,
    I had to laugh at your ants comment because I also had that thought. Go figure...great minds and all that stuff!

    I AM SUCH A DUMMY. How come I didn't know you had a blog site? I just clicked on your name expecting to get your eMail so I could tell you the above. Great entry. You have an excellant way with words.

    OK SO NOW I AM A FOLLOWER!

    Thanks Kiddo for being such a great follower.
    I wanted you to know that I am having another giveaway (start on Feb 1st and run through Feb 28th) and it's a beauty.

    Check out my daughter's site (Embracelets button on my right side bat). When on her site click on her go shopping button, then again on her go shopping menu, then go to necklaces and it is the featured necklace on that page. Click the next arrow and the description is on that page (Bird's nest necklace).

    kt

    ReplyDelete

Give me something to think about.