Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The internet made me Scroogy!

I try to be a mellow, low key type of person.  I am not materialistic.  I don't stress over a cluttered (disaster scene, potato-potata...) home or mismatched socks.

Especially at Christmas, I try to enjoy the season without getting caught up in the frenzy.  I limit the amount of gifts that my kids get and we even open a few leading up to Christmas. This happens to drive my mother nuts- she thinks I am 'ruining' Christmas by letting the kids open presents early.  My arguments about Christmas gifts being superfluous to the holiday and the Epiphany fall on deaf ears.

However, my efforts to remain calm and Zen-like this year have been challenged every time I decide to zoom down the information superhighway.  I have been inundated with emails imploring me 'Don't wait until it is too late!  Order NOW!'  These started the week before Thanksgiving.

Now, the week of Christmas the pressure to 'BUY!BUY!BUY!' is relentless.  I feel bombarded with ads to get the 'perfect gift'.  Never mind that I don't agree with buying a bunch of stuff to prove how much I care, I still get a little nervous thinking about what or who I might have forgotten.

Even if I could completely ignore all the urging to buy things, I would still feel pressured to bake, cook, decorate, craft and plan my way to a perfect holiday.  I don't know exactly how I would be able to enjoy anything with that kind of schedule, but I admit to feeling the pressure to spend a whole day baking cookies to give to the neighbors.

I worked for hours and sent my kids around the neighborhood with plates of cookies under foil and even felt a twinge that the cookies weren't presented more attractively.  Not that my neighbors noticed the lack of perfect presentation.  They were all very pleased to get their cookies.

I wish I didn't feel the need to check my email so much.  I might have a better holiday if I wasn't constantly reminded of what I 'should' be doing to make it perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me something to think about.